I spent the weekend working on a custom orders for hats. The first one is going to be for a BJD needing some vintage millinery. Luckily on my trip to the yarn shop I managed to find some gorgeous rusty brick coloured linen, which will hopefully match her outfit.
The linen yarn is not the most easiest to work with, it separates really easily, so every stitch you have to stop and check that all the sections of the yarn are still with you.... BUT, if you are prepared to give that little extra time the result is quite special. With a small crochet needle, it gives the hat quite nice form and holds its shape.
I spent some extra time shaping the crown with this one, so it swoops down towards the nape of the neck. Extra shaping is a lot more achievable with the linen than with the Perle cotton.
I finished the hat with some antique touches. The lace, MOP buckle and silk trim are all from the 1920's. Very fitting finishes for a cloche hat I think.