Sunday 13 July 2014

Myrtle and her Molly Bear

I'd like to introduce you to Miss Myrtle. After a couple of weeks I can finally take some photos of her. She started from a ball of silver linen and an idea I had for her hat, and from there she came to life!


The lace on the hat I found at the very bottom of a draw in my favourite antique shop. Just the smallest piece, but such a lovely example of edwardian guipure lace. Finishing the hat I was completely delighted to discover that this piece fitted perfectly ..... I loved it so much that I have been scouring the net ever since, trying my darndest to find more similar to this piece, but as yet no luck!

The flower on her hat is silk and dated approximately 1940's.

To be honest I think a proportion of my time of late is spent searching for these amazing antique haberdashery pieces. I cannot imagine making my dolls without them! And as much as  it pains me, I do love the fact that so much of what I am using is one of a kind, and that they simply can't be reproduced.


 
 
 
Her collar is irish lace and her little petticoat is edwardian broderie anglaise.


 
So it became time to do her final pieces. Still deciding on her shoes though, so in the meantime I thought her arms looked empty and she needed a special friend and I think she agreed with me.


Molly Bear is made of fine merino yarn and is stuffed with carded wool. She has glass eyes and she is hand shaded. The lace she is finished with is so fine and delicate. I only have a little of this lace and  I love using it with my bears.




 
So now back to those shoes!



Mel

No comments: